Friday, November 30, 2007

The Taj Mahal and Agra Fort


We made it out at sunrise to see the Taj Mahal; the most extravagant monument ever built for love. The Taj was built by Emperor Shah Jahan as a memorial to his wife, who died giving birth to their 14th child in 1631. Her death left the Emperor so heartbroken that his hair is said to have turned grey overnight. Construction of the Taj was started that same year and was completed in 1653. It’s absolutely beautiful.



Afterward, we had some breakfast and took a rickshaw to the Baby Taj and then to the Agra Fort. The ride between places was almost more interesting than the sites themselves. We traveled over a small bridge which was packed with taxis, rickshaws, motorbikes, men pushing vegetable carts and bulls carrying goods. Traffic was held up at one point by an elephant just hanging out in the street.

We are taking a side trip to Fatehpur Sikri tomorrow, about 40km south of Agra. It is mainly a ghost town; it used to be used to be the Mughal Empire’s capital between 1571 and 1585, during the reign of Akbar.

4 comments:

Alaina D. said...

Hi Donna,

I've been following your blog and enjoying every post! It sounds like you are having such amazing experiences. This photo of the Taj Mahal is the best yet! Good for you for getting out at sunrise, which explains why there are no other people in the photo. It looks so peaceful. Keep up the good work!

Alaina

Unknown said...

Hi Alaina! So nice to hear from you and that you are following our journey. We are having the most amazing time in India, there are photo opportunities everywhere! I hope all is well with you, I will talk to you soon.

Unknown said...

Matt and Donna-

Hello, it looks like you are having a great time out there. The scenery looks beautiful. I like the picture of you guys standing in front of the Taj Mahal, it seems so peaceful and majestic. Matt could almost pass off as local in a pinch with all that hair, haha, sorry I had to.

I am glad Biz sent me this link, I have been trying to track down your e-mail to say Hi while you are out there and this is even cooler. Great idea. Jason e-mailed me and was trying to get some contact info, so I will forward him this link too. I will def. be following your adventure out there. I think you may be the only people celebrating Christmas out there, but I am sure News Years will be a blast. Have fun and be safe and keep the updates coming. Peace_Alan

ecigbri said...

This photo just cant be real. I mean... Matt looks like Jim morrison